Busted pipes or a failing sewerage system is every homeowner and property manager’s nightmare as it will impede the distribution of water supply and could be very costly to fix. Alternatively, they could opt for more pocket-friendly and cost-effective options by keeping good maintenance for their sewerage and drain system. This is a thought process that is or should have been on every responsible homeowner or property manager’s mind to avoid the escalation of pipe damage. This also includes those residing in Malaysia, especially after the hazardous flood which occurred in 2021 caused mostly by the blocked sewerage system and inefficient water flowage. The flood incident emphasized the lack of sewerage maintenance—aggravated by the lack of proper infrastructure in Malaysia. Such can be easily prevented if precautions and preventive actions are taken before it escalates and therefore, shedding the light on the urgency of sewerage maintenance in malaysia. In this article, we will address the steps in maintaining your sewerage.
Steps in Getting a Maintenance Service from Professionals:
There are a few steps that need to be taken before the arrival of professionals to prep the area before maintenance begins which are
- Evacuating people from the affected area especially children, women, and elders to avoid mishaps.
- Guarding the affected area and denying entry until you have been given the all-clear from the professionals hired.
- Preventing hazards by turning off all electrical appliances, electrical boxes, and outlets around the house. Remember, water and electricity make a fatal combination and you don’t want to learn it the hard way.
- Bear in mind that sewage water isn’t purified and is full of contaminants that could lead to diseases so increase ventilation by opening up the windows and bringing in fans to accelerate the drying process.
Precaution Steps Before Cleaning Up or Maintenance Work :
After prepping the area and evacuating, here are a few steps to be taken during the process of maintenance of your sewer and drain:
- Wearing protective gear since the contaminated water or also known as black water could contain bacteria and transfer parasites when exposed to humans. To avoid contracting the disease, one should protect themselves with adequate and proper protection such as PPE.
- Removing the contaminated water from the area. In the case of stagnant contaminated water, use a water pump or any suitable equipment to pump out the water.
- After removing the water, find the cause of the leak and fix it.
- Sanitizing the area to avoid health risks since it has been compromised from the previous leak of contaminated water.
Although minor sewage or drain blockage can be fixed without the help of professionals, they are certainly the safest choice to go with since sewage spills or drain blockage can be physically and emotionally taxing, if not highly hazardous. Hiring professionals will definitely be your go-to choice especially if you are not familiar with the maintenance work, like most of us too! So don’t delay— dial the number and hire a professional today!